Skip Navigation
Wage and Hour

Wage and Hour Division

Before Filing a Wage and Benefit Complaint

Please Read These Instructions Carefully!

IMPORTANT: Complaints filed under the Payment of Wages and Fringe Benefits Act, 1978 PA 390, as amended, may prevent you from pursuing an alternative remedy through a different action (e.g., court).

You can complete and mail a complaint form by downloading the Wage and Benefit Complaint Form by clicking on the following link:
Wage and Benefit Complaint Form

If you file through the online complaint process and provide an email address, you will receive an email notification that your online complaint form was received, and a copy of your complaint form in pdf format as an attachment. It may take up to 72 hours for you to receive this notification; please do not submit the complaint more than once.

You must have Adobe Acrobat Reader to download, open or view the complaint form in pdf format.

If you are claiming wages and/or fringe benefits for different periods worked for different employers, you must use a separate form for each claim.

Fill out the claim form completely, and accurately, providing as much of the requested information as possible. Items highlighted in yellow in the online form are required, all other fields are optional.

If your address or telephone number changes, it is your responsibility to notify the Wage and Hour Division immediately or your claim may be closed. If you receive any payments directly from the employer, you must notify the Wage and Hour Division of the amount and date received.

Do Not Fill Out The Wage and Benefit Complaint Form If:

  • You did not perform work in Michigan.
  • You have filed suit against your employer for the same wage or fringe benefit claim.
  • You already have a civil court judgment involving this claim.
  • You are trying to obtain a W-2 or 1099. If so, you should contact the Internal Revenue Service at 1-800-829-1040.
  • Your employer has filed bankruptcy or has been determined bankrupt. If so, you will need to contact the Bankruptcy Court for further instructions.
  • You do not know your employer''s address or location.
  • A claim alleging a violation of paid medical leave if the date of the alleged violation occurred beyond the 6-month statute of limitations period.
  • A claim alleging nonpayment of wages and/or fringe benefits if the date of the alleged violation occurred beyond the 12-month statute of limitations period.
  • A claim alleging nonpayment of minimum wage or overtime wages if the date of the alleged violation occurred beyond the 3-year statute of limitations period.


  • Once filed, your claim will be assigned an investigator to review for completeness and determine if the claim is within the division''s jurisdiction. If within our jurisdiction, the parties will be notified by mail that the claim has been opened and is being investigated. If outside our jurisdiction, the claim may be dismissed.
  • Investigators process claims on a first-in, first-out basis in accordance with the rotation on their caseload.
  • The time required to complete an investigation depends on various factors including the parties'' cooperation and the complexity of the claim.
  • The parties will be contacted if additional information is required and upon conclusion of the investigation.


  • You receive any payment from the employer regarding your claim.
  • You change your address, the division cannot mail any payments to you without your current address.
  • You change your contact telephone/cell phone number.

Failure to timely report this information may delay investigation or stop any payments on your claim.

File Claim Online